Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Little Bit Ducky...

We're continuing this week with our pond life theme and are learning all about ducks! I had to cut out my weekly "lessons with the girls" now that I'm a whopping 30 weeks pregnant with our twin girls and can hardly get around. So instead we're doing a little bit every day to try and keep the fun coming!

We read Make Way for Ducklings...
 and did some worksheets I found online to go with the story...
This sheet helps put the little ducklings' names in alphabetical order.

Taylor learned that the setting of the book was in Boston, Massachusetts. She found it on the map...
and found it on our US states puzzle.
She thought it was really neat that her daddy used to play for Boston (just in the minors (Pawtucket Pawsox), not actually in Boston...but that's a conversation for another day!) and that I had visited Boston during a daytrip while I was pregnant with her.
We googled and found the Make Way for Ducklings statues located in Boston's Public Garden...
too cute!
We also found some vocabulary cards to go with the book.
We read The Ugly Duckling and I found a little cartoon online about the story...
There is a site called Speakaboos where classic children's stories are narrated by people...so we found
The Ugly Duckling on there too!
More ducky fun to come!
During another day of lessons, Taylor insisted I "create" a duck costume for her to wear. This is the best I could do!
We also used our feathers to make a duck!

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! You created a great unit with one of my favorite books. You are finding fabulous things to work with and you put everything together seamlessly. You are a natural at this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time hand Taylor the paper and scissors and tell her to go for it. Before long SHE will be making her own duck costume when the need arises. Fun stuff!!

    ReplyDelete