Sunday, February 7, 2010

The First Snow lesson

I found a wonderful lesson at http://www.homeschoolshare.com/ corresponding to The Big Snow written by Berta & Elmer Hader. The story is about how all the woodland animals prepare (or don't) for winter.
The lesson provides a list of all the animals that are in the story, so I searched online and found photos of them all, cut them out, and then made flash cards for Taylor. She really enjoyed helping name which animal we were looking at, and then we later used the cards to categorize all the animals and how they prepare differently for winter.




We also grouped the nocturnal animals.
I really love these unit lessons and look forward to doing more! Lots of great ideas in each one!

3 comments:

  1. What wonderful teaching tools. I hope you are saving all the great stuff you are making. I am sure Taylor was in her element being able to categorize the animals. Let's teach her to alphabetize. Then, any time you need to occupy her just have go alphabetize the contents of the pantry or something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor learned to alphabetize with these cards! Thanks for the tip! She loved it! :0)

    ReplyDelete