Friday, February 19, 2010

February Fractions Math Unit

In February I like to teach first graders the principles of fractions by studying the various ways we use the same concept. I include telling time and counting money, as well as dividing up things like pies. Each of these content areas were introduced separately last year and we have touched on them many times since then. Combining them now makes a powerful "ah-ha" moment for some learners when they realize they use skills like counting by fives in both telling time and counting money.

We piggy back this math unit onto a President's Day lesson because the pictures of Washington and Lincoln are on our money. I tell the children the legend of George Washington and the cherry tree and we bake a real cherry pie so we can have something yummy to divide into fractions. Since I home school at the kitchen table, we get to smell the pie cooking the whole time we are having class.





The main idea of this lesson is: What is a quarter? Of course it the name we give the coin with Washington's face, but it is more than that! In telling time it is fifteen minutes, in counting money it is 25 cents and in fractions it is one fourth of a whole. During the week I work on each area again separately.





































1 comment:

  1. Great lesson and post Susan!! When I grow up I want to be like you! :0) Thanks for contributing!!

    ReplyDelete