Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jax Zoo Home School Lessons- Update

We attended the Zoo Home School lesson today and Taylor really loved it! No big surprise there...
They break the children up into seperate classrooms (based on ages) and they all leave for their lesson. The classes last @ 45 minutes each with a small break between each class. Today they learned about Florida animals for the first class and Rainforest Animals for the second class. We didn't sign up for 3rd class, in case it was too much for Taylor. But next time we'll stay for all 3.
They were introduced to @ 4 different animals per class and were able to pet a few (snake, alligator, long-nosed possum, red-eyed treefrog, Madagascar cockroaches (cringe!), and some others I can't remember.

We signed up for the Feb lesson on Thursday 2/18th.
Click here to get more info... http://www.jacksonvillezoo.org/education/home_school_programs/

They also offer Zoo Tots classes (3-5 yrs old and an adult can go in class with them). Those classes are more expensive for some reason. $10/members $13/members
We may try a few of those too... Their February series is I Love Bugs, I Love Frogs, I Love Snakes, I Love Cats. One theme per week.
And they offer a program called Kiddy Paws (for 9-35 months) to see new animals and learn signs.

I got some information on Zoo Camp days they offer and family workshops on Sunday afternoons, but the children must be 6 to attend.
You should definitely check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info. I checked it out on their website today, looks fun! I'm not sure what I would do with Trey if we did a Zoo Tots class together...he's pretty disruptive! But maybe I can sneak her into a February class like the one Taylor did today, since she'll be just a week or so away from being 5. ;)

    ReplyDelete